Mediterranean Mezza Roll-Ups are a really simple starter for busy mums. This recipe uses only four ingredients, making it reasonably inexpensive to make, and fast to prepare. Best of all, it can be prepared ahead and heated up at the last minute. The flavour combination will be a delight on the taste buds.
- 3 large brinjals (aubergines)
- 50 – 60 ml olive oil
- 250 ml hummus /red pepper hummus or sun-dried tomato hummus
- 100 g mozzarella cheese, grated (250 ml)
- Wash brinjals and slice thinly, lengthwise.
- Brush each side with a little olive oil. Cut each slice in half length-wise.
- Heat up a George Foreman Grill or toasted sandwich maker; place brinjal slices on the grill and cook for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Place on a flat surface, spread with hummus and top with mozzarella.
- Roll up, and secure if necessary with a toothpick.
- Place rolls onto a suitable plate, and microwave on 100% power for 4 – 5 minutes, until cheese begins to melt slightly.
- Serve immediately.
- Prepare to step 5 and set aside. Heat in the microwave when ready to serve.
- Use leftover mushroom or red pepper pâté instead of hummus.
Remember to grab your kitchen essentials here.