As a main course or side dish of salad this is exceptional every time!
Serves 6 – 8
60 ml olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2.5 ml ground cumin
5 ml turmeric
300 ml brown rice, uncooked
500 ml boiling water
1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
. red pepper, thinly sliced
15 ml fresh parsley, chopped
30 ml fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
100 g slivered almonds, toasted
Fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan on the hob over moderate temperature. Add onion
and garlic and saut. until onion is translucent. Add cumin and turmeric and stir-fry for 1 minute.
2. Add brown rice to the mixture and stir through. Add in boiling water and cover. Simmer for
approximately 25 minutes or until rice is cooked and most of the water has been absorbed.
Be careful not to dry out completely.
3. Add chickpeas, vegetables, chopped parsley and lemon juice to the rice mixture and season to
taste. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Allow to cool. Serve at room temperature.
5. Garnish with toasted almonds and fresh coriander.