Couscous, Roast Pumpkin & Chickpea Salad
Great textures & flavours in this salad make it a really tasty treat. Serve as a side salad with a braai or buffet or as a
main course. Wait for the compliments!
Serves 8 – 10
375 ml vegetable stock
15 ml olive oil
5 ml chilli powder
375 ml couscous
500 g peeled pumpkin or butternut, chopped and roasted
250 ml pumpkin seeds, roasted
1 x 400 g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red onion, finely chopped or 4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped.
60 ml finely-chopped parsley
60 ml finely-chopped coriander leaves
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200ÅãC/180.C fan/Gas mark 6.
2. Heat the stock in a saucepan or microwave on 100% power for 4 – 5 minutes until boiling. Stir in olive oil.
3. Stir in the couscous and remove from stove or microwave. Cover and leave for 5 – 10 minutes until the
liquid has been absorbed.
4. Mix together the dressing ingredients. Toss the couscous with a fork to separate and fluff up the grains.
Mix with half the dressing while still warm.
5. Meanwhile, roast the pumpkin with a little oil and salt for 20 – 25 minutes at 200.C/180.C fan/Gas mark 6
until soft. Mix the pumpkin and the rest of the ingredients into the dressed couscous.
6. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
• Roast butternut and pumpkin seeds together at 200°C/180ºC/Gas mark 6 for 20 – 25 minutes until
butternut is tender and seeds are golden brown.
• To speed up roasting process, steam butternut in a colander over boiling water for 20 minutes before
90 ml grapeseed vinegar
90 ml olive oil
3 ml chilli powder
5 ml ground cumin
15 ml honey
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Seasoning to taste
Gratitude is when memory is stored