Here’s wishing you all a wonderful, happy family day from the Hirsch family and the whole team at Hirsch’s. As April is World Health Month, and our minds are firmly focused on staying healthy at this time, we are sharing some wonderfully healthy recipes from Allan Hirsch’s Cook Book (available from all Hirsch’s shops when they open on May 1). Says Allan, “Food always brings back happy memories – and usually happy ones where friends and family get together and share a meal – with a good dose of laughter on the side. You can of course still do this, thanks to all the online virtual platforms out there. Enjoy these delicious smoothies from my book. We look forward to seeing you back in our stores in May. Meanwhile you can Shop with us online on www.hirschs.co.za – deliveries will start again at the end of lockdown.
Water Melon Cooler
Such a refreshing cooler – all you need on a hot summer’s day.
- 1 large slice watermelon, seeds and skin removed, cut into chunks
- 250 g fresh or frozen berries
- 250 ml orange juice or water
- 1. Place all ingredients in a smoothiemaker, blender, or use a plunge blender. On medium speed, blitz ingredients until smooth.
- 2. Add a few ice cubes for very chilled result, especially if using fresh berries.
- 3. Serve immediately.
Watermelon keeps the body energized. This fruit is packed with vitamins and minerals which help fight fatigue. The water content hydrates. The skin, and the nutrients give an energy boost.
RISE AND SHINE SMOOTHIE
What a way to wake up in the morning! Gives you the energy you need to keep you going until lunch. Do remember to wash all fruit and vegetables, before using.
- 2 nectarines, quartered, pips removed
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 large orange, peeled and quartered
- 250 ml plain yoghurt
- 250 ml apple juice
- 15 ml honey
1. Place all ingredients in a smoothiemaker, blender, or use a plunge blender.
2. On medium speed, blitz ingredients until smooth.
2. Add a few ice cubes for very chilled result, or freeze yoghurt together with the banana.
3. Serve immediately.
• Use 250 ml almond milk instead of yoghurt and apple juice. Replace Orange with a banana. Top with a dusting of ground cinnamon.
Bananas contain vitamin B and carbohydrates which can provide your body with the energy boost that you need to help you get through the day.
PINK BERRY SMOOTHIE
One for the girls (and the guys), fresh flavours combine to give you a super boost.
- 125 ml cranberry juice
- 125 ml pomegranate juice
- 250 ml frozen berries
- 125 ml frozen vanilla yoghurt
1. Place all ingredients in a smoothiemaker, blender, or use a plunge blender. On medium speed, blitz ingredients until smooth.
2. Add a few ice cubes for very chilled result, or freeze yoghurt.
3. Serve immediately
Berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mulberries, cranberries, and goji berries are rich in phytochemicals, nutrients, and antioxidants. The nutrients found in berries provide us with energy, and assist in regulating our bodily functions.