GETTING RID OF MOLD

Many of us are unaware that we’re exposed to toxic mold in our homes and places of work.   According to the experts, the effects of toxic mold exposure on our health can be devastating causing allergies, asthma, chronic fatigue, and  muscle and joint pain. Exposure can also eventually  lead to cancer.

Here are few useful tips to deal with this silent killer.

If you have an Airconditioning unit, it must be maintained on an annual basis to ensure that it is not the culprit.

Make sure you don’t have any leaky water pipes or roof leaks – or any damp areas around the home.

Look out for cracks in your windows and walls  – they could be letting mold in through the outside walls.

Humidity is also a cause for mold spores to escalate.  It’s a good idea to purchase a dehumidifier.  The ensure that you keep the humidity of your property around the 50% mark.  Mold finds it harder to multiply in drier air.

It’s a good idea to buy a high efficiency (HEPA) vacuum cleaner for your carpet. Make sure you vacuum from every angle.

Empty your vacuum cleaner outside.  If your vacuum model is bagless, use a disposable wipe to clean out the canister fully.  Avoid breathing in the dust.

If your vacuum cleaner uses bags, ensure that you wear protective gloves and clothes so you don’t carry the spores back into the house.

Mold removal is not straightforward when it comes to soft furnishings and clothes. Also, using harsh chemicals such as bleach on fabrics is hardly ideal. Unfortunately, wiping upholstery doesn’t remove the mold from the stuffing inside. And dry cleaning can cause cross contamination from other sources.

Instead, use borax, also known as sodium borate which is a mineral and a completely natural solution for cleaning mold.

Mix 1 cup of borax to 2 lts of water and soak your clothes for half an hour before putting them in  the washing machine. Borax works well on mold because it’s alkaline, making an inhospitable place for the mold, which prefers a lower pH environment.

http://www.hirschs.co.za