Made with love during our recent Live Kitchen Capers event with the amazing Chef Nti at her beautiful Taste Kitchen in the vibrant precinct of Moboneng in Johannesburg, this delicious Brown Rice Burrito Bowl with Coriander Vinaigrette recipe is a hit for dinner parties or casual family dining.
If you would like to try more of Chef Nti’s mouthwatering recipes, you can purchase her cookbook My Modern African Kitchen here
Burrito Bowl Ingredients
- 2 cups Tastic brown rice
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, flattened
- 1tsbp olive oil to grill
- 1 shallot or half a brown onion roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh coriander/cilantro leaves (keep the smaller stalks)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Tomato salsa (Pico de Gallo)
- 500gms baby tomatoes, quartered
- ½ large red or white onion finely chopped
- ½ cup coriander cilantro leaves chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 jalapeño chilli chopped
- 2 ripe avocados (sliced and divided into 4)
- 150gms Cheddar cheese grated
- Shredded romaine/cos lettuce
- Lime wedge
- Corn chips
(Additional topping ideas: red or black beans, sour cream, chopped red pepper)
- First up make the dressing (this can be done in advance). Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a small food processor and blend until well combined and fairly smooth.
- Flatten the chicken breasts and drizzle a little olive oil over and season with salt & pepper
- Cook the rice in salty water according to pack instructions.
- Prepare all the other toppings and seasonings.
- Grill the chicken on a griddle pan just before the rice is ready. Allow to rest and either slice or serve whole. Spritz with lime and season with salt and pepper
- Drain the rice and toss through the dressing to coat it well. It will suck up all that delicious flavour, then divide this into 4 bowls.
- Top the rice with a grilled chicken breast, ¼ avocado sliced, grated cheese, shredded lettuce and pico de gallo. Serve your Brown Rice Burrito Bowl with Coriander Vinaigrette with corn chips and any other toppings.