There is something really stunning about seeing this caramelized rosa tomato tartin prepared and flipped over. Most people know to do it with pears, plums or apples. This one is great as it presents a savoury idea with the use of cherry tomatoes, and the addition of balsamic vinegar and basil, which always enhances the tomato flavour. It looks exciting: garnished with fresh basil, it will be a complete showstopper.
Serves 6 or 18 – 20 as a taste
- 30 g butter
- 45 ml soft brown sugar
- 5 ml Woolworth’s balsamic vinegar
- 500 g Woolworth’s cherry tomatoes
- 15 ml freshly chopped origanum/marjoram or basil
- 300 g frozen puff pastry (thawed)
1. Preheat oven to 2000C/180ºC fan/Gas mark 7.
2. Melt butter in a large frying pan, which has an ovenproof handle.
3. Add sugar and vinegar and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until mixture starts to caramelize.
4. Add cherry tomatoes and chopped origanum or basil, and stir.
5. Roll out the pastry on lightly floured surface (not too thin, about 3 mm is perfect) and cut lightly larger than the size of the frying pan. Place pastry on top of tomatoes. Ensure that sides are tucked into the dish.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Leave to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out into serving plate ensuring tomatoes are on top.
• Woolworths frozen puff pastry gives excellent results in this recipe.