Oyster Box’s Signature Dishes
Aroma’s of spices and herbs wafted through the air as Chef Luke Nair, Head Chef at Durban’s Iconic Oyster Box hotel, cooked up two aromatic and flavoursome, traditional Durban Curry’s in celebration of Heritage month. Luke impressed the audience.
Chicken and Prawn curry
- 160 g butter
- 100 g onions, blended to a paste
- 60 g ginger and garlic paste
- 10 g turmeric powder
- 60 g mild curry powder
- 500 g free-range chicken breasts, sliced
- 500 g large prawns, shelled and deveined
- 200 g tomatoes, blended and strained (discard the pulp)
- 20 g cumin
- 20 g fennel powder
- 10 g cardamom powder
- 150 ml fresh cream
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 60 ml honey
- 10 g fresh coriander, chopped
- 5 g fresh or dried curry leaves, finely chopped
- Generous pinch of salt
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat, add onion paste and simmer for two minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook for four minutes, then add turmeric, curry powder and chicken. Cook for five minutes.
- Add the prawns and tomato juice and simmer for four minutes.
- Stir in allspice powders and cook for a further five minutes.
- Pour in the creams and cook for five minutes.
- Add the honey, coriander, curry leaves and salt.
- Cover the pot and leave for a few more minutes. Serve with rice or roti
- 125ml oil
- 1kg crab, cleaned and washed
- 500g tamato, blanched, peeled and blended
- 10 green chilli
- 50g garlic crushed
- 25g ginger crushed
- 2 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seed,1tsp fenugreek, 1tsp fennel.
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 large onion chopped.
- 40g seafood masala
- 40g normal masala
- 40g kashmiri masala
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp coriander power
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 50g tamarind
- Heat oil on medium heat
- Add braising spice, cumin and mustard seed, curry leaves, chilli, ginger and garlic paste, add onion, once the seeds splutter, onion should be golden brown. Add in the powders and blended tamato, leave to cook on low heat for 10 to 15 mins till nice and saucy, add tamarind paste and salt and leave for 10min, add in the crab and
- Let it simmer for about 20 min. Garnish with coriander.
Remember to grab your kitchen essentials here. Stay tuned for exciting recipes, networking sessions, product knowledge and much more.