Today’s #WellnessWednesday recipe from Liviya Nutrition and Fitness is a fabulous fresh tomato soup. It can be enjoyed as is or used as a base for other soups and sauces.
Versatile Tomato Soup (serves 8)
Cost of ingredients in September 2020: Approximately R5.50 per person
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1kg fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp dried chillies
- ½ tsp chicken spice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few sprigs fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot. Saute the garlic, chillies and spice in the oil before adding the chopped onions, leek and carrots. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Take the pot off the heat.
- Liquidise until smooth using a stick blender and add the chopped basil. Serve with warm crusty bread.